Thursday, May 19, 2011

The rains came down and the floods came up

I experienced my first, true desert monsoon yesterday.  We moved to Las Vegas over 5 years ago and my sister-in-law talked all the time about the crazy monsoons that they have here.  It took 5 years for me to experience just one.  We've had rain storms that lasted for days and caused flooding, but I've never seen it all of a sudden just POUR down and 60 seconds later, it's gone.  That's exactly what happened.  The temperature dropped about 5 degrees, it started raining huge drops (which consequently drenched my upstairs since all my windows were open), there was lightning and thunder, the wind blew like crazy, and the gutters filled almost immediately with flood water.  It even carried my neighbors trash cans down the street a little way.  It was crazy!  And then, just as quickly as it came, it left.  

(The storms yesterday morning were mainly over the lake.)

(I so wish I would have gotten pictures during the storm, but since I was running around the house, literally, to close windows I really didn't have the chance.  The neighbors' trash cans floated down the gutters in the flood waters.)

(The storm, on its way out of town.  Heavy rain, hail, wind, and lightning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment